THIS WEEK'S SPITBALLER

THIS WEEK'S SPITBALLER - POPULAR CONSENSUS
BIZARRO!

Sunday, June 24, 2012

GODZILLA by Ryan Bullard

So I might be a little late with this one. Okay, maybe a lot late, but whatever, it's Godzilla. You'll wait for him if you know what's good for you. I had planed to do a more elaborate drawing for this weeks post, in honour of the King of Monsters, but I ran out of time. Instead, I did this version. You're welcome.

I've always liked Godzilla best when he's represented as a force of nature, rather than the sort of super hero, or even anti-hero he's often cast as in many of his films. As a destructive power of nature, raging for unknown reasons, with unknown motives, and no mater how hard we try, we just cannot seem to prevent him from showing us our own insignificance. I wish this Godzilla was better represented in his films, but it's a version that doesn't lend itself well to wrestling other giant monsters and space weirdos. As much as the kid inside me loves the insane monster fighting madness versions, I wish there were, at least, a few Godzilla flicks made for grown ups. I want Godzilla to be frightening again, like he was when I first watched the original as a kid. That monster was no joke.

-Ryan.


p.s. Space Godzilla is retarded. Even for a Godzilla movie.

No comments: